The first thing I made was some jerky, but rather than a jerky for snacking, I made it specifically to season the lentil dinner. I really enjoyed the flavor of the jerky, and the way it worked with the mashed potatoes and lentils. It did cause a bit of gas when eaten dried, but prepared it was mostly fine.
- 10g salt
- 15g black pepper corns
- 5g coriander
- 9g cumin
- 4g all spice
- 8g molasses
- 2g agave nectar
- 1.6# beef
- pinch of cayenne
- double pinch of cinnamon
- 15mL tamari
- 1/2 small onion fine dice
- hand full of garlic cloves, minced
- 5mL champagne wine vinegar
- 200mL water

I start with a blend of spices consisting of black pepper,
coriander, cumin, allspice, cayenne pepper, and cinnamon.

Toast the seed like spices, and grind to a powder

combine spices with 10mL molasses, 200mL water, 5mL vinegar
15mL tamari, and blend well, add in 1/2 small onion diced fine,
and 6 minced cloves of garlic.

I am going to marinate this 1.64lbs of london broil over night in the refrigerator.

Because this is a small batch of big pieces, I will dry it flat
rather than hang it as I did with the mango-chipotle jerky
last season.

the jerky laid out for drying

130g of the dried jerky will be chopped into bites
and added to 75g of lentils and 45g dry mashed
potatoes per two person meal.

bite size pieces.

More coming soon , this is backpacking season !
No comments:
Post a Comment